Sari Bari is Hiring
General Manager Posted 11/06/2017
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sari Bari Private Limited is a social enterprise based in Kolkata, INDIA that designs, manufactures, and sells its own brand of high-quality upcycled consumer products.
Our mission is to offer freedom to women trapped in the sex trade and to provide opportunity to women vulnerable to trafficking. We hope to accomplish this though employment in a safe, loving environment, where women are trained and employed as Artisans. The women create beautiful, sustainable, handmade products, while making their lives new. We invite the consumer through their purchase to journey into the freedom story of one woman.
We are seeking a highly motivated, creative, organized, tech savvy, General Manager. The General Manager will oversee all daily operations at Sari Bari Private Limited from production and manufacturing to ensuring policies and procedures are being followed by employees. The individual will develop processes in order to maximize stewardship, safety, quality and productivity across all production units.
- Plan, organize, direct and run optimum day-to-day operations to exceed our customers’ expectations
- Increase production, assets capacity and flexibility while minimizing unnecessary costs and maintaining current quality standards
- Be responsible for production output, product quality and on-time shipping
- Allocate resources effectively and fully utilize assets to produce optimal results
- Implement strategies in alignment with strategic initiatives and provide a clear sense of direction and focus
- Monitor operations and trigger corrective actions
- Share a trusting relationship with workgroup and recruit, manage and develop staff
- Collect and analyze data to find places of waste or overtime
- Commit to plant safety procedures
- Develop systems and processes that track and optimize productivity and standards, metrics and performance targets to ensure effective return on assets
- Address employees’ issues or grievances in collaboration with HR
- Stay up to date with latest production management best practices and concepts
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of Sari Bari Private Limited
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Shareholders
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board of Directors and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board of Directors as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Work with staff and the Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Provide the Board of Directors with comprehensive, monthly reports on revenues, expenditures and production capacity of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all applicable laws
Recommended Education, Experience & Characteristics
- Proven work experience in the industry
- Proven managerial experience
- Degree in Business Management or related field
- Adequate knowledge of business and management principles (budgeting, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources)
- Knowledgeable of safety, quality, productivity, demand creation, inventory and stewardship processes
- Computer literacy
- Ability to create accountability and to lead by example
- Ability to communicate directly with employees and initiate needed change
- Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Project Management.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work autonomously, or with a team
- Able to set and meet deadlines and goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships, both within the company and with business associates outside the company.
- Analytical, detail-oriented and creative.
- Highly motivated with the willingness to work outside defined job responsibilities
- Possess a Passion for seeing women empowered.
- Strong administrative and organizational experience, preferably in a sales lead or sales support position
- Metrics and performance analysis
- Ability to take direction from other managers or company Directors
- Conscientious, detail-oriented and discreet with confidential information
- Possess an open and friendly, yet professional demeanor at all times
- Excellent problem solving and listening skills
- The ability to work in a mission-driven environment, handle pressure calmly, and be able to adapt to changing business priorities
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude and displays professional conduct with high levels of integrity
- Expertise in Excel and Word, familiarity with Dropbox
This role is responsible for the daily supervision of administrative personnel, unit managers & the development of employees under each unit manager. (100-plus employees in multiple locations).
The performance of this position will require exposure to the manufacturing areas so that the individual best understands the day to day challenges and morale of the employees. This position requires local travel and regular presence in the production environments. Sari Bari has 4 locations in West Bengal. Approximately half time in the position is performed in a traditional office space.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position will require walking and moving from office to office as required in working with unit managers to solve weekly operational issues. The employee will also have to reach above shoulder heights or below the waist and lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. The employee must be able to lift 50 pounds and use proper lifting techniques.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and standard hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. Also, two Saturday work days each month, 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Weekly local travel to different production units should be expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.